Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cherry Bounce

Who knew I had something in common with Martha Washington?


Cherry Bounce dates back to George Washington, who regularly enjoyed sipping on one of his favorite tasty drinks. In fact, the earliest recipe I was able to track dates back to Martha Washington's diary. She did it a bit different, but it's good to see she was a brandy purist (my second favorite to the blend of 5 different boozes above). Apparently Martha's recipe was written on then-General George Washington's stationary and was titled "To Make Excellent Cherry Bounce."

Here's Martha Washington's Cherry Bounce Recipe:
“Extract the Juice of 20 pounds of well ripend Morrella Cherrys Add to this 10 quarts of Old French brandy and sweeten it with White Sugar to your taste—To 5 Gallons of this mixture add one ounce of Spice Such as Cinnamon, Cloves and Nutmegs of each an Equal quantity Slightly bruis’d and a pint and half of Cherry kernels that have been gently broken in a mortar—After the liquor has fermented let it Stand Close-Stoped for a month or Six weeks—then bottle it remembering to put a lump of Loaf Sugar into each bottle.”
I'm not sure what loaf sugar is, but Martha has given me an idea. Good thing I only made half my cherry bounce and I have plenty left to make. I'm certainly going to have to try adding cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to my recipe. I may even consider adding some fresh vanilla beans. 

Preemptive apology

For those of you who follow my blog, I need to take a moment to acknowledge I've violated one life's maxims a good pal once taught me: under promise, over perform. I got too excited about the cherry bounce. I never should have subjected it to now four blog entries. It may be my fave, but I shouldn't have hyped it up so much. So let me just say this. I think you'll like it. It's good. Sorta. Kinda. Okay, it's slightly tasty if you like the perfect mixture of tart cherries mixed with sweet sugar and five different kinds of booze. Yeah, it's (under promise) alright. I mean, if you like that sorta thing.
Cherry Bounce, 2012

This is where I stop rambling about the bestest of the bestest most tastiest drink you'll ever infuse yourself and just let 'er rip as they say in Wisconsin. I give you.... Cherry Bounce.

Preparation Time: About 20-60 minutes (depending on how much you make)

Infusion period: 3 months (Yup, you read that right, months. Don't worry, it's worth it!)
Materials you’ll need: (Makes 4 quart-sized canning jars worth of goodness)

  • 8 cups of tart cherries (leave the pits in)
  • 4 One quart-sized wide mouthed canning jars (if you don't have wide-mouthed, you'll probably need to add a funnel to this list of things you need)
  • 4 cups of sugar
  • 2 cups of Rum (I've used spiced and white rum. it's your call) 
  • 1 cup Irish Whiskey
  • 1 1/2 cup Vodka
  • 1 1/2 cup Brandy
  • 3/4 cup Lambrusco (It's a crappy red wine. You can find it in the crappy red wine section of your local liquor store)
  • 1 strainer 
  • 1 bowl large enough to hold 8 cups of cleaned cherries
  • paper towels (just trust me on this one. you will likely spill.
  • Perfect blend of 5 different
    types of booze.
  • A large jug to mix the above booze in 

Recipe:
  • Pour 1 cup of sugar into each canning jar (use strainer if you have small mouthed jars).
  • Add 2 cups of rinsed cherries to each canning jar
  • In a separate container mix all your booze together, then pour into canning jars evenly. This should fill each jar relatively close to the top.
Servings:
Yields approximately 12 ounces of cherry bounce and 2 cups of drunken cherries.

How to make this tasty drink:
1. Rinse your cherries in a strainer.
2. Pour cherries into a clean bowl.
3. Line up your canning jars and add one cup of sugar to each jar.
Step 3 woks best while enjoying
a Summer Berry Splash!

4. Then add two cups of cherries to each canning jar.
Sugar + cherries = almost done!
5. In a separate container, mix all the above booze together.

I made a double batch
6. Spread your booze evening into all four canning jars. This should fill each jar pretty close to the top. As the booze makes its way down into the sugar, your concoction will bubble. Don't panic, this is supposed to happen. It's just science. Enjoy it!

I think the bubbling is one of my favorite parts!
7. Put your lid on and make sure it's tight.
Step 11 is the hardest part!


8. Turn upside down and shake until your sugar is mixed up. The sugar will then settle back into the bottom of the jar pretty quickly.
9. Shake up your jars every day or two until you can no longer see sugar settling at the bottom of your jar.
10. Store in a cool dark place.
11. Wait several months. The general rule on this is if you make it during cherry season (July-ish), it's ready to taste at Thanksgiving and keeps getting better an makes for a delicious New Years Eve beverage!

How to drink your tasty drink:
Much like most infusions, you can serve this vodka infusion many ways. You can drink 3 or 4 ounces warm, chilled or over ice. You can also shake it up martini style. Feel free to mix this with any white soda/seltzer as well. I personally enjoy it in my favorite vanilla cola. Perhaps even lemonade?

Important alterations:

Wanna keep it simple? Sure thing! Just add your sugar and cherries to your jar and fill the rest of the jar up with your favorite booze. I've seen whiskey, vodka, rum and (my fave) brandy.

Want some fun mixed drinks?
Try your concoction in an old-fashioned. You can even use your cherries in the old fashioned! Oh, I almost forgot the cherries. Top them in an ice cream desert, bake them in a pie (pitted) or smuggle them into a sporting event that doesn't sell booze, etc. Be adventurous. And don't forget to come back and post a comment to tell me how it went!

This & that


The thing I love about Cherry Bounce is that there's so many ways to make it. Please, leave a comment here and tell me what you've tried! 

Too lazy to make your own but live in the Madison, Wisconsin area? Sign up for the email list of a local restaurant named after one of my favorite drinks The Old Fashioned and be amongst the first to be notified when they crack their Cherry Bounce (usually early December).


Well, this is it. The kinda sorta almost best drink you'll ever taste. Enjoy your cherry bounce, or stop on over for some of mine.


Cheers,


Craig




6 comments:

  1. You forgot the part about the Cherry Pit Spit Contest while enjoying your Cherry Bounce. Jeri would be so disappointed to learn you neglected to include the finale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a large batch of cherry bounce last month with Brandy. I put them in sealed canning jars and on the shelf. I was told they shouldn't be so tightly sealed because the gas from the fermenting alcohol has to escape or the cherries will go bad. So... I loosened the seals on my jars and put them in the refrigerator right away. Will they still be good 3 months from now? Please don't tell me I wrecked my batch of bounce????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey,

      Fear not. I put my cherry bounce in large Ball jars or large Mason jars (whatever is cheaper) and seal the dickens out of the jars and I've never had a problem. In fact, I don't even store mine in the refrigerator, just my cool dark basement. I just cracked open a jar from 2011 a couple weeks ago. The booze was yummy (and so were the cherries).

      You haven't ruined your bounce. Snug those lids up and wait patiently!

      Craig

      Delete
    2. To be clear, I don't actually seal the jars like you would if you were making pickles. Just hand tighten them.

      Delete
  3. Not sure how old you guys are, but in the 70's back in Green Bay we also reused the cherries. When you are done with bounce, pour dry white wine over cherries in jar. Seal up and have at Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you use frozen cherries for this?

    ReplyDelete

I created this blog as an experiment. If you liked what you read, have a suggestion for others, have feedback for me or simply have a question, please feel free to leave a comment.

If you like what you read, please subscribe or plug in your email for automatic notifications of new blog entries.

If you really like what you read, please consider sharing your favorite recipe via social media!

Thanks for your comment.

As always, cheers!

Craig