Friday, August 31, 2012

Honor our workers this Labor Day

Labor Day is right around the corner, and it's got me thinking about my dad.

This Labor Day weekend, I'm toasting to the man who helped me get a job as a union paper mill worker, which helped me pay for college. He taught me the value and honor of a hard day's work.   

My dad is a patriot who fought for this country and even gave an organ for it. He and my mom raised four great kids who couldn't be any more different, yet couldn't be more similar. From my dad, I learned how to be loyal to a fault, and for that, I'm grateful.

And more and more, I feel like I'm turning into my father. You know, all those things that either made you smile or slightly annoyed you in high school. Here's my checklist:
  1. I fall asleep on the couch a lot watching the Milwaukee Brewer's games but wake up just in time to yell at the TV and question the manager's decision to pull the pitcher one pitch too late.
  2. I've noticed the volume on my TV slowly increasing with age.
  3. I turn off lights incessantly in rooms I'm not in because I'll be damned if I'm paying the electric company those extra few pennies! 
  4. I watch NFL football games more to yell at the refs than to watch my favorite team.
  5. Don't you dare leave my front door open when the air conditioning is on. I'm not paying to cool the entire neighborhood!
  6. I'm an over planner and over packer. Travel with me and you'll have enough food to live for a week in case of a car accident and you'll definitely die wearing clean underwear. 
  7. I frequently say all those things my dad says, like "Waste not, want not." 
Yup, I'm becoming my dad.

And I couldn't be happier for it.

As I embark on this boozalicious journey, I'm glad that every time I go home, I can bring a little taste of my infusions to taste with my pappy. So get ready, daddy-o, this weekend I've got several for you to taste!

Next time you taste one of my infusions, raise a glass and toast to the man who taught me how to throw a curve ball.

Even though I can't convince you to sign-up for my blog because you're afraid of signing up for things on the internet (just one of the many things I love about you), cheers to you, dad!

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment

I created this blog as an experiment. If you liked what you read, have a suggestion for others, have feedback for me or simply have a question, please feel free to leave a comment.

If you like what you read, please subscribe or plug in your email for automatic notifications of new blog entries.

If you really like what you read, please consider sharing your favorite recipe via social media!

Thanks for your comment.

As always, cheers!

Craig