Friday, November 23, 2012

Everclear is dangerous

It's the day after Thanksgiving and I've learned one very important lesson about myself. Is it:

A) I've got a lot to be thankful for.
B) Giving back to neighbors in need is important
C) I can talk people out of alcohol wherever I go

If you answered C, you win a million dollars and a pony. I mean, after all, I already knew A & B, but damn, does talking people out of alcohol come in handy when you are:

A) Celebrating
B) Having fun
C) Thirsty

Wach out parade goers, I've got a Mic
and I'm not afraid to use it!
Okay, if you guess them all, let's double today's jackpot!

Yesterday's Jacksonport Thanksgiving Day Parade was awesome. "The Little Parade That Could," did... again... for the 16th year in a row. What started as an eclectic parade of townspeople with 7 observers is now an eclectic parade of townspeople (and strangely a lot of folks from Chicago) with hundreds if not more than 1,000 observers. And damn are they generous. Check out pics of the parade and follow us on facebook!

In 7 years, I've been promoted all the way from balloon handler to parade starter and this year, I served as the emcee. Yup, someone gave me a mic. And I used it to announce the "floats" as they went by, raised money for a 14-year-old with a brain tumor and I even talked someone in the audience (read: my best friend) into buying me a gin & tonic!

Yup, yesterday's parade was legendary.

But it gets better.

Every year my adoptive family orders Thanksgiving Dinner from a wonderful little diner in town. The food is delicious and there's so much less stress than cooking yourself. I know, you love your mother/grandmother/own cooking so much. But trust me, this is totally the way to go. Especially if you've got it all figured out like we do.

Each year, because of the parade, we are always the last family to pick up our dinner. And they ALWAYS have pie left over. That's right, each year we end up with free pie. Except this year. We showed up 30 minutes before closing, which made the workers happy. And we were still the last family. Do we get a prize, my best friend asked.

Answer: not unless you want some apple pie drink.

Craig: Only if there's booze in it.

Answer: Of course there is!

Yeah, so that happened... And then I learned apple pie with everclear is a dangerous little treat.

Yes, this is my post-Thanksgiving PSA: Everclear is dangerous!

So, a great big drunken and sleepy tryptophan cheers to you,

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment

I created this blog as an experiment. If you liked what you read, have a suggestion for others, have feedback for me or simply have a question, please feel free to leave a comment.

If you like what you read, please subscribe or plug in your email for automatic notifications of new blog entries.

If you really like what you read, please consider sharing your favorite recipe via social media!

Thanks for your comment.

As always, cheers!

Craig