Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving can beat up your Thanksgiving.

No seriously, after the Week of Craig, this is about as good as it gets for me.

Yesterday, I took the day off and traveled to Jacksonport in Door County, Wisconsin to visit my best friend and her parents. For starters, Door County is beautiful, even in this dead season between fall and winter.

Their home is exactly the opposite of mine. For starters, it's beautiful; hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, fancy appliances, a four-season porch with a fireplace in it. I could go on and on. This place is like my own personal bed and breakfast. Exactly the respite a guy needs after all that crime fighting.

And let's not forget the people! My best friend has been there for me through thick and thin. And trust me, my life can get pretty thick and thin! And her parents have been like my second family for over a decade now. In fact, I just call them Mom & Dad.

And this year, we added someone to our tradition. My best friend went out and got herself a boyfriend. He's pretty cool. Shhhh, don't tell him I said that yet. I'm trying to make the new guy sweat a little!

Don't think it could get any better? For about 15 years, "Mom" has been running the only Thanksgiving Day parade in all of Wisconsin. Who needs to watch the Macy's Day Parade on TV when you could go participate in the exact opposite?

My first year, I was a balloon handler. Yup, I walked in the parade and held a turkey balloon on a tiny stick. I've since been promoted to parade starter. Over the years, there've been horses, hoards of dog walkers, old fire trucks, lots and lots of townspeople and even a camel. Each year, it's fun to guess whether the 3-block "Little Parade That Could" will have more people in it or watching.

The best part? Totally reinstalls your faith in humanity. Each year, the parade adopts a family in need. Door County might be beautiful, but it's not immune to personal struggles. In the past, they've adopted families who've lost their jobs, kids with cancer, etc. Each year it's someone new. Each year, they make a difference. And each year, I drive up here and play some sort of role in this fundraiser that helps a struggling family during the holidays. It's fun, and it's the right thing to do.

Are you crying yet? Cuz this year, it all got better. Mom retired from her role as parade organizer and passed the baton (quite literally. She's not only the parade organizer, but also leads the parade by twirling a baton). What's that mean for us? We can crack into my cherry bounce a day early! And thus we did!

So, if the story about helping families in need didn't make you cry, this is totally gonna do the trick; we concocted some new drinks last night. I want to thank Mom & Dad's fully stocked science lab (read: liquor cabinet). I think there's going to be more concocting happening tonight, so as soon I've got some solid drink ideas for you, I'll report back tomorrow.

In the meantime, eat turkey, sit back with your favorite infusion and watch football (or the Macy's Day Parade).

Happy Thanksgiving and, as always, cheers!

Craig

P.S. If you are ever in Door County, drop by J. Jeffrey Taylor's fine jewelry shop, ask for Mom & Dad (the owners) and tell them that Craig sent you. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I created this blog as an experiment. If you liked what you read, have a suggestion for others, have feedback for me or simply have a question, please feel free to leave a comment.

If you like what you read, please subscribe or plug in your email for automatic notifications of new blog entries.

If you really like what you read, please consider sharing your favorite recipe via social media!

Thanks for your comment.

As always, cheers!

Craig